- Andriy Klepikov, Executive Director of Alliance Ukraine, took part in a special session: How Do We Get There? Country Planning for Maximum Impact which asked how do we optimize resources from PEPFAR, the Global Fund and in-country resources
- Simran Shaikh, Programme Manager, Pehchãn Project at India HIV/AIDS Alliance spoke about the vulnerability of men who have sex with men, transgenders and hijiras as part of a panel discussing MSM: The Impact of Internal and External Stigma on a Personal and Social Level.
- Tanya Deshko of Alliance Ukraine and others from the Community Action on Harm Reduction Programme presented the lessons learnt from the first year the programme. Tanya was also presented with the Levi Strauss & Co Pioneer Award for her commitment to fighting HIV and AIDS in Ukraine.
- Christine Stegling, Senior Adviser on Human Rights at the Alliance, spoke on a panel debate about ‘getting to zero discrimination’ in the context of the UNAIDS strategy.
- Juan Jacobo, Colectivo Sol in Mexico, Julio Ramirez, Atlacatl in El Salvador and Elena Reynaga, REDTRASEX and Marcela Romero, REDLACTRANS, participated in a panel discussion: Life With Dignity: building community responses to stigma in Latin America. See the programme case study here.
- Khuat Thi Hai Oanh, Executive Director of SCDI in Vietnam spoke about community responses to HIV stigma on a symposium entitled Getting to Zero Excuses.
Other highlights of the week included a mass protest which saw Alliance activists march through Washington with 2,000 others to demand governments keep the promise to end AIDS, and an Alliance reception at the British Embassy to raise awareness of a human rights approach to HIV and AIDS, which was attended by Alan Duncan, UK Minister of State for International Development and singer Annie Lennox.
Finally, we ran two satellite sessions (with the support of UNAIDS, ICSS and the World Bank) on:
We also got our messages out into the world’s media. Alliance spokespeople were interviewed for radio outlets all over the world, from China to Africa. Blogs by Alvaro Bermejo and David Olson appeared on the Huffington Post and Key Correspondent posts appeared on the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s Impatient Optimists blog and the official AIDS 2012 blog.