Alongside the High-level Plenary Meeting of the General Assembly which will focus on accelerating progress towards the achievement of all the Millennium Development Goals by 2015, there will be six round-table sessions, co-chaired by two Heads of State or Government, at which there will be active participation of four representatives of NGOs and civil society.
The round-table meetings have the overarching objective of “Making it happen by 2015”, and each one will focus on a different theme:
- Round-table 1: Addressing the challenge of poverty, hunger and gender equality.
- Round-table 2: Meeting the goals of health and education.
- Round-table 3: Promoting sustainable development.
- Round-table 4: Addressing emerging issues and evolving approaches.
- Round-table 5: Addressing the special needs of the most vulnerable.
- Round-table 6: Widening and strengthening partnerships.
NGO and civil society speakers have been chosen by the President of the General Assembly with consideration of the recommendations and criteria submitted by his Task Force.
Andriy Klepikov will be speaking at Round-table 5 – addressing the special needs of the most vulnerable.
Summaries of the deliberations of the six round-table sessions will be presented orally by the chairpersons of the round-table sessions or their representatives during the concluding plenary meeting of the High-Level Plenary Meeting.
We hope to report further on Andriy’s presentation in The Loop in October.