We use our extensive community-based experience to contribute to HIV research. Our published peer reviewed articles inform HIV programming and policy decisions.
Most of our research relates to HIV service delivery, looking at ways in which services can reach those who are most in need and in the most efficient way. You can find examples below.
We have collaborative research partnerships with other organisations and academic institutions. Most recently, the Alliance has partnered with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in order to improve the rigour, impact and reach of our research. For example, the Alliance played a key role in the UK government's Department for International Development funded Evidence for Action Research Consortium.
Research Think Tank
Our global research think tank combines our research expertise and innovative thinking into one virtual unit. It brings together seven of our Linking Organisations who have a distinct interest and expertise in research, programme impact staff from the international secretariat and research fellows seconded from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) who are experienced in conducting operational research. The think tank’s purpose is to:
- coordinate operational research, knowledge sharing and learning
- influence policy and practice
- effectively market and communicate Alliance research and innovation.
The think tank was formed because the challenges facing Linking Organisations are similar and increasingly interconnected, requiring us to work together to understand and find common solutions to our shared problems. To achieve this, the think tank will function as a network of research-focused Linking Organisations to foster effective knowledge generation, and the sharing and use of evidence throughout the Alliance.
 India HIV/AIDS Alliance, International HIV/AIDS Alliance in Ukraine, HUMSAFAR, KANCO, KHANA, MAMTA and Via Libre.
- Navigating the poverty of heroin addiction treatment and recovery opportunity in Kenya: Access work, self-care and rationed expectations. Authors: Rhodes T., Ndimbiic J., Guise A., Cullen L., Ayon S. Published in: Global Public Health: An International Journal for Research, Policy and Practice.
- Is the promise of methadone Kenya's solution to managing HIV and addiction? A mixed-method mathematical modelling and qualitative study. Authors: Rhodes T, Guise A., Ndimbii J., Strathdee S., Ngugi E., Platt L., Kurth A., Cleland C., Vickerman P. Published in: BMJ Open 2015;5:e007198 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-00719
- Improving Education Opportunity, Health, and Quality of Life of Orphans and Vulnerable Children: The Sustainable Action against HIV and AIDS in Communities (SAHACOM). Authors: Siyan Yi, Pheak Chhoun, Samantha Brant, Kelley Kita, Sovannary Tuot. Published in: International Journal of Tropical Disease & Health, 2015; 5(1): 37-47.
- ‘Deep down in their heart, they wish they could be given some incentives’: a qualitative study on the changing roles and relations of care among home-based caregivers in Zambia. Authors: Fabian Cataldo, Karina Kielmann, Tara Kielmann, Gitau Mburu, Maurice Musheke. Published in BMC Health Services Research 2015, 15:36.
- Improving Education Opportunity, Health, and Quality of Life of Orphans and Vulnerable Children: The Sustainable Action against HIV and AIDS in Communities (SAHACOM). Authors: Siyan Yi, Pheak Chhoun, Samantha Brant, Kelley Kita, Sovannary Tuot. Published in: International Journal of Tropical Disease & Health 2015; 5(1): 37-47.
- Treatment Adherence and Health Outcomes in MSM with HIV/AIDS: Patients Enrolled in "One-Stop" and Standard Care Clinics in Wuhan China. Authors: Zhou W, Zhao M, Wang X, Schilling RF, Zhou S, Qiu HY, Xie NH, Liu MQ, Dong HS, Yao ZZ, Cai T. Published in: PLoS One. 2014 Dec 1;9(12):e113736. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0113736. eCollection 2014.
- The sustainable action against HIV and AIDS in Communities (SAHACOM): Impacts on health and quality of life of people living with HIV in Cambodia. Authors: Siyan Yi, Pheak Chhoun, Samantha Brant, Kelley Kita, Samedy Suong, Kouland Thin, Sovannary Tuot. Published in: the Global Journal Of Medicine and Public Health, 2014; 3 (5): 1-11.
- Evaluating social outcomes of HIV/AIDS interventions: a critical assessment of contemporary indicator frameworks. Authors: Jenevieve Mannell, Flora Cornish, Jill Russell. Published in: The Journal of the International AIDS Society. 2014; 17(1): 19073.
- Intersectionality of HIV stigma and masculinity in eastern Uganda: implications for involving men in HIV programmes. Authors: Gitau Mburu, Mala Ram, Godfrey Siu, David Bitira, Morten Skovdal, Paula Holland. Published in: BMC Public Health. 2014 Oct 11;14:1061. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-1061.
- Factors Associated with Risky Sexual Behavior among Unmarried Most-at-Risk Young People in Cambodia. Authors: Siyan Yi, Sovannary Tuot, Kunthearith Yung, Sanh Kim, Chhorvann Chhea, Vonthanak Saphonn. Published in: American Journal of Public Health Research 2014; 2 (5): 211-220.
- Community and service provider views to inform the 2013 WHO consolidated antiretroviral guidelines: key findings and lessons learnt. Authors: Hsieh AC, Mburu G, Garner AB, Teltschik A, Ram M, Mallouris C, Penazzato M, Shaffer N, Easterbrook PJ, Ball A. Published in: AIDS. 2014 Mar;28 Suppl 2:S205-16. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000000251.
- Responding to adolescents living with HIV in Zambia: a social-ecological approach. Authors: G Mburu, M Ram, D Oxenham, C Haamujompa, K Iorpenda, L Ferguson. Published in: Children and Youth Services Review.doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2014.03.033
- The impact of Community Mobilisation on HIV Prevention in Middle and Low Income Countries: A Systematic Review and Critique. Authors: Cornish F, Priego-Hernández J, Campbell C, Mburu G, McLean S. Published in: AIDS and Behaviour, 2014 Mar 23. DOI 10.1007/s10461-014-0748-5
- Adolescent HIV disclosure in Zambia: barriers, facilitators and outcomes. Authors: Gitau Mburu, Ian Hodgson, Sam Kalibala, Choolwe Haamujompa, Fabian Cataldo, Elizabeth D Lowenthal and David Ross. Published in: Journal of the International AIDS Society 2014, 17:18866
- Community Systems Strengthening for HIV Care: Experiences from Uganda. Authors: Mburu G, Oxenham D, Hodgson I, Nakiyemba A, Seeley J, Bermejo A. Published in: Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life & Palliative Care, 2013 Dec 2; 9:343–368.
- Resisting and challenging stigma in Uganda: the role of support groups of people living with HIV. Authors: Mburu G, Ram M, Skovdal M, Bitira D, Hodgson I, Mwai G, Stegling C, Seeley, J. Published in Journal of International AIDS Society. 2013, Nov 13; 16(Suppl 2):18636 doi: 10.7448/IAS.16.3.18636
- Role and outcomes of community health workers in HIV care in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. Authors: Mwai GW, Mburu G, Torpey K, Frost P, Ford N, Seeley J. Published in: Journal of International AIDS Society. 2013 Sep 10;16(1):18586.
- Barriers and facilitating factors to the uptake of antiretroviral drugs for prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. Authors: Gourlay A, Birdthistle I, Mburu G, Iorpenda K, Wringe A. Published in: Journal of International AIDS Society. 2013 Jul 19;16(1):18588.
- Rights-based services for adolescents living with HIV: adolescent self-efficacy and implications for health systems in Zambia. Authors: Mburu G, Hodgson I, Teltschik A, Ram M, Haamujompa C, Bajpai D, Mutali B.Published in: Reproductive Health Matters. 2013 May;21(41):176-85.
- Community collectivization and its association with consistent condom use and STI treatment-seeking behaviors among female sex workers and high-risk men who have sex with men/transgenders in Andhra Pradesh, India. Authors: Saggurti N, Mishra RM, Proddutoor L, Tucker S, Kovvali D, Parimi P, Wheeler T. Published in: AIDS Care. 2013;25 Suppl 1:S55-66.
- The Association between Noncommercial Partnerships and Risk of HIV among Female Sex Workers: Evidences from a Cross-Sectional Behavioral and Biological Survey in Southern India. Authors: Somanath RP, Mishra RM, Saggurti N, Parimi P. Published in: AIDS Res Treat. 2013;2013:108630. doi: 10.1155/2013/108630.
- Expanding the role of community mobilization to accelerate progress towards ending vertical transmission of HIV in Uganda: the Networks model. Authors: Mburu G, Iorpenda K, Muwanga F. Published in: Journal of International AIDS Society.. 2012 Jul 11;15 Suppl 2:17386.
- Understanding the linkages between informal and formal care for people living with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa. Authors: Lees S, Kielmann K, Cataldo F, Gitau-Mburu D. Published in: Global Public Health. 2012;7(10):1109-19.
- Living as an adolescent with HIV in Zambia - lived experiences, sexual health and reproductive needs. Authors: Hodgson I, Ross J, Haamujompa C, Gitau-Mburu D. Published in: AIDS Care. 2012;24(10):1204-10.
- Only connect - the role of PLHIV group networks in increasing the effectiveness of Ugandan HIV services. Authors: Hodgson I, Nakiyemba A, Seeley J, Bitira D, Gitau-Mburu D. Published in: AIDS Care. 2012;24(11):1368-74.
- Mobilising community collectivisation among female sex workers to promote STI service utilisation from the government healthcare system in Andhra Pradesh, India. Authors: Parimi P, Mishra RM, Tucker S, Saggurti N. Published in: J Epidemiol Community Health. 2012 Oct;66 Suppl 2:ii62-68.
- Community advocacy groups as a means to address the social environment of female sex workers: a case study in Andhra Pradesh, India. Authors: Punyam S, Pullikalu RS, Mishra RM, Sandri P, Mutupuru BP, Kokku SB, Parimi P. Published in: J Epidemiol Community Health. 2012 Oct;66 Suppl 2:ii87-94.
- Costing human rights and community support interventions as a part of universal access to HIV treatment and care in a southern African setting. Authors: Jones L, Akugizibwe P, Clayton M, Amon JJ, Sabin ML, Bennett R, Stegling C, Baggaley R, Kahn JG, Holmes CB, Garg N, Obermeyer CM, Mack CD, Williams P, Smyth C, Vitoria M, Crowley S, Williams B, McClure C, Granich R, Hirnschall .Published in: Curr HIV Res. 2011 Sep;9(6):416-28.
- Tracking the rise of the "expert patient" in evolving paradigms of HIV care. Authors: Kielmann K, Cataldo F. Published in: AIDS Care. 2010;22 Suppl 1:21-8.