MENA regional programme
Through this programme we’re working to improve the sexual health of men who have sex with men (MSM) in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA).
Although overall HIV prevalence is low in the region, it has one of the fastest growing concentrated epidemics in the world, with HIV infection rising rapidly among populations at highest risk. The populations most affected are MSM, people who use drugs and female sex workers. Sex between men accounts for nearly one quarter of new infections and this is exacerbated by high rates of stigma and discrimination.
The programmet has now increased its reach to also target people living with HIV.
The MENA programme works with implementing partners work in over ten sites in: Algeria, Lebanon, Morocco and Tunisia.
It aims to improve the HIV response in the region by building the capacity of our implementing partners so that they can better support civil society and community based organisations.
The MENA programme currently focuses on three key areas:
- Improving access to prevention, care and support services for MSM and people living with HIV.
- Increasing quality of these services by providing technical support to our implementing partners.
- Creating an enabling environment for HIV prevention, care and support programming by supporting activities which influence the wider context at local, national and regional level.
Our partner organisations implement a package of combination prevention services aimed at MSM, including peer education, condom distribution, HIV testing and counselling, referral for STI diagnosis and treatment and social and other support.
Partners also work to identify the needs of MSM communities and feed these back to the project.
- The MENA programme has clearly demonstrated ways to effectively reach MSM in a region where such work was one thought to be near to impossible.
- The programme has developed health materials, and training tools in the local language and context.
- In 2011 nine organisations were supported financially, 4,720 copies of information about HIV or sexual and reproductive health and 36,401 condoms were distributed. Visit our interactive map to find out more about our annual achievements.
Our partners on the MENA programme are:
- In Algeria: Association de Protection contre le SIDA (APCS)
- In Lebanon: Soins Infirmiers et de Développement Communautaire (SIDC), Helem (a national LGBT organisation) and Oui pour La Vie (OPV)
- In Morocco: Association Marocaine de Santé et de Développement (AMSED, which is an Alliance Linking Organisation) and Organisation Pan Africaine de Lutte Contre le SIDA (OPALS)
- In Tunisia: Association Tunisienne de Lutte contre les MST/SIDA (ATL)